Thursday 9 July 2015


BIRD BLOCK FOR TOKYO INT'L QUILT FESTIVAL 2016
 
This my contribution, winging its way to Japan as I write.
 
It's one of hundreds of blocks being sent to organisers of
 the Tokyo International Quilt Festival by patchwork enthusiasts,
mainly from Japan but also around the world.

Volunteers will join and quilt these blocks by hand
to form Partnership Quilts.
 
These will be displayed, then raffled off, at the Festival in January 2016.
 
The theme for next year's Festival is "Music".
 
I made this block as I enjoy listening to
the melodic calls of birds that visit plants and trees
around the house each day.

It's framed with a ribbon from stash.
The block is 23x23cm including seam allowance.
 
This is foundation paper pieced using a
 free pattern from McCall's Quilting website.
 
It's the first time I've tried this technique.

I had to do lots of unpicking.
It was frustrating at first but I'm glad I did it.
 
 ~Ema N~.
 
Photos and text belong to the author of this blog, unless otherwise stated.
Please do not use without permission.