Thursday 2 July 2015


HALF-CIRCLE SKIRT & MORE

Sewing time in the past two weeks was devoted to skirts.
Not mine, but a close friend's.

First, a half-circle wrap skirt.
Pattern was traced off an existing one she bought years ago.

It was my first encounter with this type of skirt.
So I would like to remember these in case I ever need to make another:
 
^align the straight edges of skirt with fabric selvedge.
This saves heming!
^stitch along the hem allowance to prevent stretching of the fabric.

^use a lighter weight cloth.
This cotton batik-print fabric is a tad heavy, may strain the waistband.
Use interfacing to support the waistband.
 
*****
 
The next three skirts were the result of alternations.

Truth is, I don't like doing alternations.
I'd much rather sew up something new.
 
But my friend's absolute delight
in having "new" skirts from clothes
she almost threw away
made it all worthwhile.
 
 
This skirt originally had a yoke.
 
It became too tight at the waist. 
 Fortunately, the circumference of the skirt below the yoke was just right.
 
So unpicked the lining, unpicked the yoke, unpicked the zipper,
unpicked the side seam of outer fabric and lining to reposition zipper.
 
Re-inserted zipper etc
And finally, added bias binding waistband.
 

 Now, what do I do with these?

Do they go into the rubbish bin or the scrap fabric bin?


Oh, I confess to being a hoarder.

So into the scrap bin they go!

:-)
 
~Ema N~.
 
Photos and text belong to the author of this blog, unless otherwise stated.
Please do not use without permission.