Thursday 29 October 2015



PLEATED LETTERS
 
I wondered if pleats could form letters.
 
A few details of this experiment using random pieces of scrap:


“I” : double pleats + strip of batting = volume, visual weight.

Did this to balance “I” against “D”, “E” and “A”,
 which are wider and have more complex lines.

 If left as a single vertical pleat, "I", even as a wide pleat,
would be overshadowed by its companions.

By the way, all this was eye-balled. No measurements etc.

“A”: I wanted to give prominence to the two diagonals,
which are the defining lines of this letter.
 
 To do this, the horizontal pleat was sewn first,
followed by the two slanted pleats.
 
Note that this is different from how I would write “A”,
where the horizontal line is drawn last.
 
I learnt from this that the pleat sewn first would be “recessed”,
pressed down by the pleats sewn over it.
 
I had to think about recessed and prominent lines of each letter
to determine the order of sewing.
 
Sometimes, this may mean going against the instinct
of sewing in the same order as writing.

* * *
The three-dimensional effect of these letters appeals to me.

Question in my head at the end of this experiment:

 Would it work to mix and match

pleated letters +
improv letters or foundation paper pieced letters

to form a word/sentence?

* * *
 
Not ironed. I like it puffy!
 
I chose the word, “idea”, to thank Ann and Kaja for starting AHIQ.
 
This is a great platform to test and share ideas and I am grateful for it.
  
I was told this by a senior director of an organisation I worked for:

If you have a dollar in your pocket and
the person next to you has a dollar in her pocket and
you both exchanged what you have,
you'd still end up with a dollar each.

But if you have an idea and the person next to you
has an idea and you both exchanged ideas,
you'd end up with more ideas than you started with
and be the richer for it.
 
(Modified from a quote by George Bernard Shaw)

~Ema N~
 
Read about my Pleated Patchwork experiment here.
 
 Linking up with AHIQ.
 
Grab button for AHIQ
 
 
Photos and text belong to the author of this blog, unless otherwise stated.
Please do not use without permission.

5 comments:

  1. I love where these experiments are taking you. I think the idea of mixing pleats with letters made in another way could be interesting: I would expect the pleated letters to stand out nicely. This all has so many possibilities it's exciting: I'm so glad you are sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat IDEA! So many interesting points: using batting in the letter I, order of pleating, seaming the letter D closely, using different fabrics to see how pleating effects each. I loved your quote from your former director. Hopefully this linkup will be a place to easily share ideas and cross-pollinate. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to see how you made letters from pleats, I never would have thought of that. See, you've given me an idea ;-) Love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I've been reading a couple of books about fabric manipulation techniques, but so far the actual doing has remained on my 'to-do' list. You make me want to try something. I really like that you made letters. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really works well, Ema! The way the first pleats are rippled and distorted by the subsequent pleats is very interesting. I especially like the A. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete