Saturday 14 November 2015

 
FABRIC RECIPE

When I was young, my mom had me copy out recipes from cookbooks
as a way of keeping me quiet for an hour or two.
 
I remember writing out the word, “Method”, many times over.

That's why recipes are my inspiration for this month's Le Challenge.
 
I baked this when I was 14 years old!
 
I chose this Swiss Roll recipe from my Home Economics textbook.

The plan was to make a fabric version of it.
 
 
The text was embroidered on a piece of calico.

First, it was written on the fabric using disappearing ink pen.
 
The problem was the ink faded faster than I could embroider!

Over half the words were done more-or-less freehand,
guided only by the faintest of lines, sometimes none at all.
 
That's why it's wonky.
 
All part of the charm, I say.
 
 
The swiss roll was appliqued.
 
There is batting under because I wanted
to quilt in swirling lines to reflect the roll of the swiss roll :-)

It's nice, the three-dimensional effect and texture.
 
 
The swiss roll pattern is from Patchwork Tsushin, October 2012.
 
Sadly, this Japanese magazine ceased publication earlier this year.
 
It was a delight, full of inspiration. I'll miss it.

Drying out after a wash. The purple thread bled!


The whole thing is tucked into a tile and metal frame
 suited to the rustic vibe of this fabric recipe.

 It's pretty on the bookshelf.

~Ema N~

Linking up with


 Crazy Mom Quilts' Finish It Up Friday.

Kathy's Quilts Slow Sunday Stitching

Photos and text belong to the author of this blog, unless otherwise stated.
Please do not use without permission

6 comments:

  1. Very clever interpretation of the theme! And a cute decoration too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! It looks good (and I bet the swiss roll tastes just as nice...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your take on Method and the little puffy swiss roll. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing! Love how you managed to get 'method' from the cookbook as well! Thanks for linking up to le challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOOOO! Patchwork Tsushin is out of business? Darn. Now I will really have to treasure all the ones I have.

    But, I love your Method study!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have an interesting perspective on things, I think. I like this a lot, both the idea of it and how it actually looks.

    ReplyDelete