Wednesday 25 November 2015


LEAF DARTS
 
These leaves were made by sewing a dart on a triangular piece of fabric.
I got the idea from dressmaking (like pleated patchwork here).
 
When sewing clothes, darts are used to transform a flat piece of cloth
 into a three-dimensional shape that accommodates the human body.
 
Think, for example, of bust darts that create space for “the girls”.
 
Layers of leaves on audition. Not sewn to base fabric.
"Trunk" is a chopstick.
 
 I made these after reading Lara's AHIQ post here
asking for suggestions on leaves.
 
 Here's one Aspen leaf:
 

Backstitching secures the thread so it doesn't unravel
and lose the three-D volume. 

For me, I backstitch it all the way to the start.
It's a short dart, I don't mind back tracking for security.
 


Round leaves, elongated leaves...all can be created.
Just cut fabric to the shape required.

The degree of puffiness depends on dart shape and length:
 

I like the one on the lower left, stripes look like the veins of a leaf.
 

How to attach such leaves?
 
The green leaf:
*fray-checked edges, sewn down with running stitch
 *scrap batting tucked into the leaf
 
The purple leaf:
*needle turn hand-applique - in progress
 
 
These leaves sew up quickly and use up all those small scraps.
 
They're fun to make.
 
And they're pretty!
 
 
 
~Ema N~
 
 Linking up with AHIQ.
 
Grab button for AHIQ
 


9 comments:

  1. How clever! And they look like a lot of fun. And a great way to use up some scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much creative thinking, Ema! That raw edge hand applique is excellent, and would be a beautiful art piece. Your blog is always interesting, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another take on pleats - this idea has so many possibilities and I find the way you are taking techniques from dressmaking very exciting! Monica is right, your blog is always interesting - thanks for linkiing up with AHIQ, I'm very glad to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great 3D effect. Not only leaves. Your first photo looks like a chrysanthemum. Beautiful. Thanks for linking with AHIQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued by 3D possibilities. You've let me to another, and it is so...obvious, I guess...right under my nose all these years. Thanks for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used basically the same technique on some improv feathers that I made for a bag. (http://fleurdelisquilts.blogspot.com/2015/10/modern-feathers-yellow-bag.html) I was able to curve the leaf so that it had a soft S shape. It gave the leaf a more organic feel even though I used fabrics that were odd for feathers. I love that your leaves give a slight relief from the background. I can see a great use for your leaves in art quilts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ema, you are wonderfully inventive! I've never seen anyone make a three dimensional leaf by sewing darts in them before. I've done them with a seam down the middle and the edges left loose. I especially love your aspen shaped leaf! And your "chrysanthemum" like bunch! I wonder if you could do rose petals like this too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - thank you for putting together this post to show me how!

      Delete