Tuesday 8 December 2015


QUILTY365

I'm making flowers for Quilty365.
 
I'll pick fabrics based on what made me happy or what I'm thankful for each day.
 
Each flower will represent a week.
 
 The centre was originally to be a circle applique
but I wanted to have some variety, ie not all fabric.
 
I tried a tatted* motif and like the way it brought the petals together.
 
So all flowers will have tatted centres.
 
It doesn't take long to tat these, so I think it's do-able.

(*Tatting is a method of making lace by hand using a shuttle and thread.)
 
I started on December 1 and here's my week:

 
I'm using a whole piece of cloth as the base fabric.
 
This saves me from having to cut background squares
so I can concentrate on needle-turn applique for the flowers.
 
 
There is two-and-a-half yards of this men's shirting fabric.
 
I had intended to make a shirt dress out of this but never got around to it.

Can't wait to fill it up with happy flowers!
 
~Ema N~

Linking up with QuiltyFolk, host of Quilty365.


Photos and text belong to the author of this blog, unless otherwise stated.
Please do not use without permission.

5 comments:

  1. This is going to be excellent, Ema! I really like the special touch of the tatted centres. And the whole cloth back will let it be very free form and organic. Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another unique take on the 365 concept. I love your tatted flower centers. Thus is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is a fabulous idea. I love the tatted centre, and the whole cloth back. Are you going to place your flowers in order or randomly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! The project will be a more manageable size at the end. And you will have a beautiful quilt out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I really love your idea to make flowers, one for each week! Whole piece cloth is good for the background. There is enough work with the petals so you don't need to do the piecing part. At the end of the year you finish quickly. I'm starting this too but with mugs. Merry Christmas! x Teje

    ReplyDelete